Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mum's The Word!

I've been in a slump lately.  It's been about 6 weeks since I've had a cake order and I'm going through withdrawals!  That means its time to bake and decorate.  So - the hubby got nominated (by me!) to take in cupcakes to work.  Since its September, I wanted to do something kind of fall related - hence the mum's.  However, I also wanted to use up extra sanding sugar I had, hence the spring colors. 





A friend of mine gave me the "What's New Cupcake" book recently and these nifty little cuppies were featured in them.  They turn out to be super easy to do - but a little time consuming. 

I highly recommend enlisting your child (Thanks Geoff) to help you cut the marshmallows.  I had doubled the batch in order to accommodate the hubbies work place, and you need 22 mini marshmallows for each cupcake.  I found that it was easier for me to cut the marshmallows with a clean pair of kitchen scissors, rather than trying to cut them with a knife.  I had small bowls of the sanding sugar set out and would dip about 4 marshmallows at a time in the colors.  You can easily store the marshmallows in ziploc bags if you want to do this in stages, which is what I did. 

The cuppies were white cupcakes which are frosted with buttercream and the marshmallows are adhered to them starting with the outer ring and moving inward.  The book recommends licorice pastels for stamens, but I was unable to find them in the grocery stores.  Instead, I just went ahead and filled in the centers with the marshmallows, which gave my mums a full look to them. 

This was a fun project and easy to do!  The hubbies work reported that they tasted great and looked great too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment