Thursday, September 2, 2010

Birthday cake for a guy

I always struggle when it comes to cake ideas for a guy.  I want to do something cool, with a wow factor, but it always seems like those kind of cakes are more for women than men.  With my hubby's birthday coming up, I wanted a cool guy cake more than ever.  Thought process went like this:  hmmm, guy cake.  Guy cake colors.  Blue, browns, blacks maybe a little white and gray.  My hubby likes games - card games, board games, computer games - you name it, he's probably played it!  So the winner this year was:  a backgammon board. 

I modeled this board after his actual backgammon game - taking liberty with the colors!  We had someone attending his birthday party that was allergic to chocolate, so I had to make sure that I didn't use my chocolate fondant.  Instead I colored the fondant blue, brown and white. The colors turned out a little more retro than I liked and if I do this cake again, I think I will use the different shades of brown and white instead. 

Overall, I am happy with the execution of the cake.  It is probably some of the better fondant work I have done - very smooth.  I know there has to be a trick to make the seams disappear, but I haven't figured it out as of yet!  If anyone knows the trick - please share!! 

The cake itself was a white velvet cake - very yummy!  Again, due to chocolate allergies, I wanted a cake that everyone can enjoy.  Not only that, my hubby loves white chocolate cakes.  I paired that with a raspberry butter cream filling that had a consistency of mousse.  Thanks Melissa!  That was a yummy recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment