Sunday, September 5, 2010

You want what?!

Back in January, I made the office birthday cake with an igloo and penguins.  My sister saw the cake and promptly informed me that for her birthday she wanted surfing penguins..... um, ok....

Several different design ideas went through my mind.  I know how to make penguins.  I can make a surf board.  But how to execute??  I thought about a tiered cake with the penguins surfing down the side.  I wasn't sure I wanted to make a sheet cake.  I thought about "beach cakes".  Then I thought about penguins on a beach  (on vacation) - wondered if it was possible to make a wave.  So - google to the rescue!  And the result.....


The cake is a box cake mix - Funfetti flavor.  It was cute when you cut it as they had all kinds of colored sprinkles in it.  The penguins, surfboard and wave are all made out of gumpaste.  The wave was actually double that size, but I ended up breaking it in half so it would fit more to scale.  Easy, easy to make!  Colored gumpaste rolled thin and draped over a liter pop bottle to dry.  I painted the surfboards with food markers.  The tree was a pretzel rod with royal icing piped over it using the leaf tip.  I put my mom to work making the sand for the cake.  Crushed graham crackers with brown sugar - sifted and then applied to the cake.

This was a really fun cake to do.  Thanks to my sis for wanting something different!

No comments:

Post a Comment