Thursday, February 25, 2010

February's Birthday Cake


Once a month, I make the office birthday cake. It is a job I love - I get to pick my own designs and practice a cake! This month (being Valentine's and all) I went with a traditional box of chocolates. This cake was inspired by another blog I follow as her Valentine cake for 2009.

The whole thing is cake! The box, the chocolates - all of it! I made a red velvet cake (recipe courtesy of a co-worker) and covered it in red fondant. I have discovered Satin Ice fondant - which has a very good flavor and rolls out very nice! I purchased it online in red and black (and a chocolate one too!) since coloring fondant these colors can be very difficult. Mostly, I would end up with pink or grey!

The chocolates themselves are actually cake balls - made from scraps of cake that I have left over from other cakes I made. Once I level or sculpt a cake, I throw the scraps into a ziploc freezer bag until I have enough to make cake balls. The cake balls pictured here are chocolate and red velvet covered in melted chocolate. I piped melted chocolate on some of them, topped some with nuts and others with sugar. To make it look realistic I purchased some candy foil wrappers and placed them on the box.

I figured I had done a great job when a co-worker went to the break room, thinking someone had brought a box of chocolates to work to share, helped herself. She confessed to me - Oh my gosh! I just ate the birthday cake! I thought i was candy until I ate it! And - those cake balls are the best! :-)

I sent leftover cake balls to work with Jim - evidently they were a hit there as well.

Forrest is right - "Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get" - you might even get cake balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment