Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wow! I'm a slacker!

I didn't realize how long it had been since my last post! Since my last blog, I've done a couple of other cakes and learned some new things....




This cake was for a "paying customer" - I put that in quotes, because it was for a friend of mines husband's surprise birthday party. He is a fisherman and his wife asked for a cake that had to do with fishing. I've learned since then - ask for more details! This was - whatever you think would be cute and go for it! While I really enjoy that freedom, at the same time it is difficult to please the customer without knowing really what they are looking for.

Overall - I think this cake turned out very cute! One of my favorites, just because it's different. Sometimes I think my niche is character cakes - if you look at some of my faves they are not the usual stacked, tiered beauties, but are hamburgers, boxes of chocolates, etc.

This cake was my first attempt at modeling figures - the fisherman, the seagulls and the rocks are all fondant figures. They were really a lot easier than I thought they would be and I really enjoyed making them. There was wonderful instructions from a Carol Deacon book that broke the instructions down piece by piece.

So - things to improve on - covering a round object with fondant. That was a little sticky! :-) Otherwise - I really liked this cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment