Monday, June 7, 2010

Between a princess & an ice cream cake....

was a quick birthday cake for a 6 year old. I seem to be destined to make cakes for little ones! That's not a bad thing, because it certainly allows me a little more creative license.

This little guy is a big fan of the Rooty Jr breakfast at Ihop. He only ever orders this breakfast and that's all he wanted for his birthday. Mom decided that instead of the actual Rooty Jr., she would order a cake that looked like one.

This cake was a simple strawberry marble cake - (which tastes a lot like the new Starbucks raspberry swirl pound cake) covered in buttercream. I made the sausages (because he NEVER orders the bacon) and strawberries out of fondant. The pancakes are made from the scraps I had after I leveled the cake and then covered in fondant. The scrambled eggs I made from modeling chocolate. I had never made modeling chocolate before, but found a recipe that was very easy and simple to do! A friend of mine recently went to the Washington State Sugar Show and saw an exhibition on modeling chocolate. After hearing her reviews (Thanks Melissa!) I had to try it! She was right - its super easy and lots of fun. A whole new medium has opened up for me! Is it bad when you look at something and think.... wow, I could make that in modeling chocolate! :-)

The plate itself was more of a challenge. Originally I was just going to put the food on the top of the cake - it was white - but I really didn't like that idea the more I played with it. I covered a plate in plastic wrap & powdered sugar and draped gumpaste over the back of it. I let it dry a couple of hours and then removed it, turned the plate over and draped/molded it to the top of the plate. Next time, I would put a band of color along the rim of the plate just to break it up a little, but my client only wanted a white plate - just like in the picture at the Ihop!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Deb!! I am so excited to try modeling chocolate! I have a cake to do this weekend and was thinking of doing some of the decorations in modeling chocolate. You will have to tell me all about how you did it!

    ReplyDelete