Friday, June 11, 2010

Geoff's Creation

My son, Geoff, wanted a say in the design of his birthday cake this year. After all, a guy only turns into a teenager once! That being said, Geoff designed his cake to reflect his interests. Then it was up to me to try and re-create his sketch. Here's what happened:



Geoff's favorite color is purple, so the butter cream had to be that color. He is interested in magic tricks, so we made the wand out of black and white fondant. He is a trombone player, but unfortunately I lack the necessary skills to pull off a trombone, so we placed a Christmas ornament on the cake. We attempted to mold a chess piece out of chocolate, however our molds just didn't turn out right. Finally, after making several molds and failing miserably, we decided that a chess piece from an actual set would work just fine!

The game controller in the back (propping up the trombone) was made from our first ever attempt at modeling chocolate. I love the flexibility of modeling chocolate and that it can be made very easily! I don't care for the "oily" residue I got while I manipulated it though! I don't know if this is a normal for this medium as I haven't played with it enough! After it hardened though, I will say that those who tried nibbling on it really didn't care for the flavor.

So Happy Birthday to my teenage son! I think he has a great career ahead of him for designing cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment