Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Web Slinger!

One of my co-workers wanted a birthday cake for her grandson's 5th birthday. He really, really likes Spiderman. She really wanted a brownie ice cream cake. This is what we came up with. Square brownies with a Neapolitan ice cream filling in the middle. Chocolate buttercream was the icing of choice. I wanted to try and recreate the city that Spiderman stands guard over with the fondant panels and the web of course in the center would later be sporting a toy Spiderman for the birthday boy.

I used fondant impression mats that were brick and wood textured and impressed them onto the fondant. To make the dark fondant, I combined black and white fondant to make it the gray color. The lighter fondant was white that I later "spray painted" with a silver edible spray. That took A LOT of spray just to make it a darker color. Next time, I think I will try coloring the fondant itself. The spray mists all over the place and was pretty messy!

The web I made out of royal icing and made sure to leave the center for the action figure. It was tricky trying to frost, panel and construct this cake as it had to be kept frozen for the ice cream. I molded the ice cream in the same pans I baked the brownies in, that way I was able to keep everything the same size. It took some time to keep the panels attached to the sides of the cake but once in place and then frozen, it was no problem.

I do enjoy the brownie ice cream cakes - something I will do again! This design was a much better "super hero" design than the one I did for my nephew. Still a few design kinks to work out, but I think I'm getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment