Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mud Cake


Mud cake is an appropriate title for this cake - it is messy, messy, messy to make!  It is also not the best looking in appearance - I like the overall look with the buttercream and the marischino cherries.  It reminds me of a black forest cake a little in appearance. 

This was a two layer plain white cake.  Between the layers, however, I put a layer of chocolate covered cherries.  Once the cherries were placed on top of the first layer of cake, I iced them with buttercream.  Next time, I think I will try putting them in a cake pan, icing them and then freezing it.  It might work better having a solid layer before adding a top cake layer. 

The cake was then crumb coated and then frosted with buttercream.  Next time I make this cake, I want to try putting a layer of  chocolate fudge or ganache over the top of it before I frost.  I think that this will enhance the flavor of the cake, but it will also make it easier to frost. 

Now the messiest part.  If you make this cake - make sure to put wax paper or parchment paper around the bottom of the cake drum.  After crushing chocolate sandwich cookies (I used Oreos) just start scooping them onto the buttercream.  Try to do this as evenly as possible.  I may try putting some of the crushed cookies into the buttercream BEFORE  I frost the cake - I wasn't very pleased with how the white showed through.  Another thought may be to skip the buttercream entirely and just go with the gananche and top with crushed cookies. 

Top it with the dollops of piped buttercream and Maraschino cherries and in the center a large swirl with an Oreo. 

This was done for the April office birthday cake - everyone loved the flavor, even those who don't really care for chocolate covered cherries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment