Friday, April 15, 2011

Toy Box Cake


An old co-worker asked me to make her baby shower cake. I had seen this cake done in Cakes and Sugarcraft magazine and was anxious to try and replicate it. The original cake was done all in fondant, however my co-worker was having pregnancy cravings for buttercream and asked if it could be replicated in buttercream with fondant accents. I thought - why not. Let's try it an see. I think overall it turned out all right, but I see why it was orignally done in only fondant and that is how I would do this cake if I have the chance to make it again.

The cake is a basic strawberry cake, cut and layered to the approximate shape of a loaf cake. I had spent the three weeks prior to her shower making all the different toys for the cake. My favorite is the little yellow duckies. I covered my cakeboard with chocolate fondant and used an wood impression mat to make it resemble a hardwood floor. The rug is white fondant which I decorated with food markers, once it had dried and hardened.

Once I frosted the cake - I used a ruler to make the wooden plank lines in the sides of the toy box. In the original, this would be strips of dried fondant planks, like the ones on the top of the toy box. I had to use the fondant strips on the edge of the box in order to have the toys hang off of something.

From there is was a matter of placing the toys on the toy box and the lid on top of the toys. Next tip: if you do this with buttercream - let the fondant strip adhere overnight before placing the toys - it may help with the sagging of the box.

Overall - she was very excited about the cake. Her favorite toy was the white bunny and she got her buttercream craving satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment