Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ninja's


My nephew has been taking karate lessons this year. So, of course, when it came for Auntie to make his cake he wanted a ninja cake. This cake is actually a compilation of a couple of cakes I found that reflected ninja and karate themes. Because he is in the first grade, I wanted something simple for him. He also had ideas on what he wanted for his cake as well - fortune cookies for the eyes and ninjas. As you can see - the fortune cookies didn't make it on his cake, by his vote.

You remember that I got an airbrush for Christmas. Of course this was the perfect opportunity to play with it and work on shading for a cake. I wanted to blend the colors to make it look like that time of night when dusk falls. The top layer I used as his head and the bottom layer was not only the "body" of the cake, but I also wanted to reflect some of his karate moves too.

I had my nephew show me a couple of his katas and then I sketched them and cut out stencils of them. I then cut them out of black fondant and placed them around the body of the cake. The Asian pagoda was also cut from black fondant and put in the center of the cake. The face was a piece of skin colored fondant with black fondant folded and placed around it. The eyes ended up being fondant instead of the fortune cookies. The Ninja stars were made out of snowflake cookie cutters and a round hole cut out of the center. I painted them with silver luster dust paint (luster dust and vodka).

Overall, I really liked this cake. It turned out very cute and age appropriate for my nephew. He was thrilled and all his friends wanted a cake like his.

No comments:

Post a Comment