Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fondant or Buttercream...


...that is the question! I've always loved the look of fondant cakes - they look so pretty and you can do so much more with them. That being said - I have to say that I really want to get to the point with my buttercream smoothness that you can't tell if it's buttercream or fondant!

Whenever I start to decorate a cake, for my workplace or hubbies, I have to ask myself am I doing fondant or buttercream? Both have their challenges. Buttercream, for me anyway, can be a pain the neck because I never can seem to get the edges of a cake covered. I've been told not to worry about it too much since it will be covered by a border. It's frustrating because I have seen numbers of "how to" videos that show a buttercream cake (sans borders) that do not have this issue. I switched to an icing tip, which helped a lot. I think I wasn't getting enough icing to cover the cake - my layer was more like a second crumb coat.

Fondant's challenges can be numerous as well! I've had issues, with this cake in particular, with not enough fondant to cover the cake, pleating and tearing. I had to take off the fondant and redo it four times before I was able to achieve the perfect look I wanted.

Practice.... I'm starting to hate that word.... and patience is what I need. It will get better and it will be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment