Monday, January 25, 2010

Getting better



All that practice is starting to pay off! This last week kept me busy baking and decorating my grandmother's 91st birthday cake. My grandmother has commissioned me to make her 100th birthday cake - I love that she is looking so far ahead! I decided that she didn't need to wait that long though for me to decorate a cake for her. Since I was going to see her this past weekend, I figured I would surprise her with a birthday cake (her actual birthday being Wednesday). Overall, I am pleased with her cake. The fondant was nice and smooth and looked very pretty. The flower turned out well - however I do wish the gold luster dust edging had been a little more visible. After seeing the finished project, I would have added some kind of curly type things around the flowers - kind of like gold sparkly curls.

I compare this cake with another fondant birthday cake I did last year - I can see where I have improved! It is important for me to look back and see where I was and how far I have gotten. Otherwise, I have a tendency to get discouraged when something doesn't turn out the way I have envisioned it.

The best part though - my grandmother liked the cake so much that she saved it to serve (and show off) at the birthday party her widow's group is holding for her later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment