Monday, January 11, 2010

Practice makes perfect!

My youngest is being confirmed in May of this year. His confirmation class is the largest the church has had, with 13 kids being confirmed. As a caker, I look for opportunities to expand my caking experiences and stretch my boundaries! With this thought in mind, I volunteered to make the cake for the confirmation reception. I have in mind to make a 1/2 sheet cake that will have a chalice, loaf of bread and wheat stalks made of gumpaste. Included in this masterpiece I am planning on an open book (Bible) with each of the kids' names written on the pages. Sounds very grand and large! The large part I can handle, its the writing part I'm worried about! So - practice I think! Yeah, I can do that. So now everyone I know will be getting a book cake of some sort so I can practice my writing.

This week the lucky cake winner is my physical therapy group. I'm discovering, however, that its not just the writing I will need to practice. The open book pan has some very odd angles to it and I had a difficult time getting the icing to cover the cake and then smoothing the icing. Today, the cake is a plain white surface, smooth, but not quite enough icing. I'm hoping the decorating part of this will cover all that up and it will turn out, if not a work of art, at least a good practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment